Tracestrack is a sole proprietorship (eenmanszaak)
registered in the Netherlands. Its focus is openstreetmap
based raster tile hosting. Currently we support three
categories of map layers:
Base map: carto and topo
Language overlays: including Arabic, English,
Dutch, German, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Simplified and
Traditional Chinese etc.
Route overlays: bus, bicycle, subway and train
Several filters can be applied on these layers, creating
several style flavors.
1. Map Style
Tracestrack Carto style is forked
from openstreetmap-carto on Jan 12, 2021. Following
is a main list of changes:
- Power lines
- Underground subways
- Buildings from Z17
- Simple 3D buildings
- Pedestrian areas and ways
- Simplified footway/cycleway/path
- Man-made bridges
- Improved high density highway rendering
(e.g. Cairo: See
- Trees and tree rows
Added rendering for
- City districts: place=borough
- Aquaculture areas: landuse=aquaculture
- Tourism attractions: tourism=attraction
- Busways: highway=busway
- Solar farms and wind farms: power=plantplant:source=solarplant:source=wind
- Highway/railway embankment: embankment=yes
- Government landuse: landuse=governmental
- Use place:CN for Chinese place
- Use correct CJK fonts in Japan and Taiwan
- Better line breaking for longer CJK place names
Tracestrack Topo style is a hybrid of Carto
and OpenTopoMap. It
uses the same SRTM data to generate hillshades and
countours, which lie on top of the Carto style background.
2. Tile Servers
Currently, Tracestrack has four high performance rendering servers and three caching
edge servers. Following gives a rough DNS config: US California node: US and Oceania.
Singapore node: Asia and Oceania.
London node, serving rest of the world.
3. Tile Update Policy
Most of the tiles are prerendered. With limited
resources, it is difficult to keep an
up-to-date map repository in short period of time, like
Our strategy is to rerender only recently-accessed areas.
We distinguish active and inactive areas. Active areas
are rerendered approximately every 14 days.
Inactive areas are rerendered in longer period, for
example one month to six months.
4. Map Style Updates
We love to make our map style meet users' needs. If you
want to render new tags or update current styles, let us know by
on Twitter, or send us an email at info(at)tracestrack.com.
The source code of Tracestrack Carto style is not open. We
plan to make it open source in certain moment in future.
We take issues and pull requests
from openstreetmap-carto as sources to improve the
maps. Following is a list of issues and PRs that
influenced Tracestrack Carto style:
Fix shop=car_repair label/icon colour mismatch
added rendering of amenity=parcel_locker #4512
5. Artwork Credit
6. Open Source Software and Data Credit
- Servers: Debian and Ubuntu
- Database: Postgres and PostGIS
- Map render stack: mapnik, mod_tile, apache2
- Map data: © OpenStreetMap contributors
- Carto Map style: openstreetmap-carto
- Topo Map style: OpenTopoMap
- DEM data: SRTM
- Spatial data processing: gdal