Last update: Sun Nov 20 2022
Tracestrack is a sole proprietorship (eenmanszaak)
registered in the Netherlands (KvK 87031469, VAT NL004347242B39). Its focus is openstreetmap
based raster tile rendering and hosting.
Our contact information:
offer OpenStreetMap-Carto and OpenTopoMap based maps with
various language labels. We also provide following route
overlays: bus, bicycle, subway and train.
To explore all
maps that we offer, please
visit Map Explorer.
1. Map Style
Tracestrack Carto style is forked
from openstreetmap-carto on Jan 12, 2021. Following
is a main list of changes:
- Power lines
- Underground subways
- Buildings from Z17
- Simple 3D buildings
- Pedestrian areas and ways
- Simplified footway/cycleway/path
- Man-made bridges
- Improved high density highway rendering
(e.g. Cairo: See
- Trees and tree rows
- City districts: place=borough
- Sea and ocean: place=seaplace=ocean
- Aquaculture areas: landuse=aquaculture
- Tourism attractions: tourism=attraction
- Busways: highway=busway
- Solar farms and wind farms: power=plantplant:source=solarplant:source=wind
- Highway/railway embankment: embankment=yes
- Government landuse: landuse=governmental
- Use place:CN for Chinese place
- Use correct CJK fonts in Japan and Taiwan
- Better line breaking for longer CJK place names
Tracestrack Topo style is a hybrid of Carto
and OpenTopoMap. It
uses the same SRTM data to generate hillshades and
countours, which lie on top of Carto style background.
2. Tile Servers
Currently, Tracestrack has four high performance
rendering servers and two caching
edge servers. Singapore node: Asia and Oceania.
Germany node, serving rest of the world.
Two edge servers handle traffic based on user locations:
for real time config.
3. Tile Update Policy
Most of the tiles are prerendered. With limited
resources, it is difficult to keep an
up-to-date map repository in a short period of time, like
Our strategy is to rerender recently-accessed areas more
We distinguish active and inactive areas. Active areas
are rerendered approximately every 21 days.
Inactive areas are rerendered in longer period, for
example one month to six months.
4. Map Style Updates
We love to make our map style meet users' needs. If you
want to render new tags or update current styles, let us know by
on Twitter, or send us an email at info(at)tracestrack.com.
The source code of Tracestrack Carto style is not open. We
plan to make it open source in certain moment in future.
We take issues and pull requests
from openstreetmap-carto as sources to improve the
maps. Following is a list of issues and PRs that
influenced Tracestrack Carto style:
Fix shop=car_repair label/icon colour mismatch
added rendering of amenity=parcel_locker #4512
5. Artwork Credit
6. Open Source Software and Data Credit
- Servers: Debian and Ubuntu
- Database: PostgreSQL and PostGIS
- Map rendering: mapnik, mod_tile, apache2
- Map data: © OpenStreetMap contributors
- Carto Map style: openstreetmap-carto
- Topo Map style: OpenTopoMap
- DEM data: SRTM and NASADEM
- Land cover data: ESA Worldcover
- Data processing: gdal